Two Veterans Day events in Santa Rosa County will be attended by members of the Board of County Commissioners Nov. 11 according to a press release.
In Navarre Park, the festivities are set to start at 11 a.m. presented by local veteran’s organizations including Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4407 American Legion posts.
Other participating organizations include Navarre High School NJROTC and local scout troops 106, 11, 484 and 401. Santa Rosa County District 4 Commissioner Dave Piech will present the Veterans Day proclamation. Congressman Matt Gaetz will be the guest speaker.
For more information, contact the American Legion, 850-936-5888.
At the Veterans Memorial Plaza in Milton there will be a parade. Participants are to gather at 9:15 a.m. at Milton High School. Step off will be at 9:30 a.m. traveling down Highway 87 to Berryhill Road then to Willing Street ending at the Veterans Memorial Plaza.
The Veterans Day ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. at plaza located at 5191 Willing Street in Milton. The event includes:
- Welcome from Santa Rosa County Commission Vice Chairman Don Salter, District 3
- Presentation of colors by Milton High School NJROTC
- Invocation by NASWF LTJG Frank J. Tillotson
- National anthem by Milton High School Choir and Director Katie Wernette
- Pledge of Allegiance by Ethan Salter
- Post of colors by Milton High School NJROTC
- Proclamations by City of Milton Mayor Heather Lindsay and Santa Rosa County Commissioner Bob Cole, District 2
- Coloring contest winners presented by CDR Kenneth Kerr, CO HT-18
- Introduction of speaker – Commissioner Don Salter
- Keynote Speaker – Commander Leroy Shoesmith
- Presentation of “God Bless America” by Milton High School Choir, Director Katie Wernette
- Laying of the wreaths – veterans organizations
- Taps – Milton High School Band, Director Gray Weaver
- Benediction – Pastor Jim Liberacki, East Side Baptist Church
- Unveiling of liberty tree plaque
Immediately following the ceremony the 4H will host a cookout, donations accepted.
In the event of severe weather, events will be held at Milton High School. For more information, contact Vickie Powers 850-860-2427.
All Santa Rosa County offices will be Nov. 11 in honor of Veterans Day. Santa Rosa County Board of Commissioners including the library system and animal shelter.
The Central Landfill will be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Santa Rosa County 9-1-1 dispatch, Lifeguard Ambulance Service and fire departments are open daily.