1. LIGHTS, CAMERA, CLUES Chicago’s vast network of surveillance cameras, with more than 32,000 mounted on buildings, poles, train tunnels and elsewhere, helped police break the case of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett. 2. REAL CHANGE AT LONG LAST? Cardinals attending Pope Francis’ summit on preventing clergy sex abuse have called for a new culture of […]
1. ‘EMPIRE’ ACTOR TURNS HIMSELF IN Jussie Smollett to face accusations that he filed a false police report when he told authorities he was attacked in Chicago by two men. 2. FIRE IN ANCIENT SHOPING DISTRICT IN BANGLADESH KILLS DOZENS A devastating fire raced through densely packed buildings in a centuries-old shopping district in Bangladesh’s […]
1. TRUMP AIMS TO UNIFY IN STATE OF THE UNION The president will call for optimism and unity in his delayed address before Congress, but skeptics are likely to question whether such a reset is possible after two years of bitter partisanship and deeply personal attacks. 2. TRUMP’S INAUGURAL COMMITTEE SUBPOENAED U.S. prosecutors in New […]
1. WATCHDOG ISSUES SOBERING REPORT ON AFGHANISTAN As the U.S. pursues peace in the war-torn country, the Afghan government has been unable to expand control of its country, Afghan security forces are shrinking and gaps in security are growing. 2. AP: ICE FORCE-FEEDING DETAINEES ON HUNGER STRIKE Federal immigration officials are force-feeding six immigrants through […]
1. TRUMP ASSOCIATE STONE ARRESTED, FACES OBSTRUCTION CHARGE The office of special counsel Robert Mueller says Roger Stone faces charges including witness tampering, obstruction and false statements. 2. WHAT SHUTDOWN VOTE REJECTION SPURRED The twin setbacks in the Senate prompts a burst of bipartisan talks aimed at temporarily halting the longest-ever closure of federal agencies. […]
1. TRUMP YIELDS TO PELOSI, POSTPONES STATE OF THE UNION The president concedes that “no venue can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber” and that he’ll wait until the shutdown is over as the House speaker had demanded. 2. COMPETING BILLS IN SENATE TO END SHUTDOWN LIKELY TO FAIL Republicans […]
1. WHAT SENATORS ARE GRAPPLING WITH Side with Trump or vote to temporarily end the longest shutdown in U.S. history and keep negotiating. 2. VENEZUELA BRACES FOR PROTESTS The country’s opposition faces a crucial test in an appeal to the military and the poor to shift loyalties that until recently looked solidly behind the socialist […]
1. SENATE GOP MOVES ON TRUMP PROPOSAL TO END SHUTDOWN Democrats are expected to balk at the $5.7 billion the president wants to build a border wall, alongside temporary protection from deportation for some immigrants. 2. WHERE DEMOCRATS ARE LEANING IN 2020 As the presidential primary takes shape, almost no policy is too liberal for […]
1. ‘WE DID SEE HIM WITH TWO HANDS ON A GUN’ Two witnesses to a deadly shooting during an online video game tournament in Florida say they saw the back of suspected gunman David Katz as they fled for their lives. 2. WHERE MCCAIN WILL BE LAID TO REST A private burial service next weekend […]
1. TAX CUTS TAKE BACKSEAT TO FEAR IN GOP POLITICS In primary season, Republican candidates are embracing the general-election strategy of using anxiety as a tool to motivate voters. 2. HOW MOSCOW REACTED TO NEW US SANCTIONS A senior Russian lawmaker denounces Washington’s response to the poisoning of an ex-Russian spy in Britain as “lynch […]
1. WHAT PONTIFF IS SAYING ABOUT CAPITAL PUNISHMENT Pope Francis changes the church’s teaching on death penalty, says it is always inadmissible because it “attacks” human dignity. 2. DONOR TO CLINTON, TRUMP HELPED ‘HIGH-RISK’ MERCHANTS Records obtained by the AP show that a prominent political donor has helped pornographers, payday loan debt collectors and offshore […]
1. ALARMS BLARE ABOUT RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN US ELECTIONS The Trump administration is facing bipartisan criticism that it has no clear national strategy to protect the country during the upcoming midterms and beyond. 2. MIRACLE IN MEXICO All 103 aboard an Aeromexico jetliner have survived a fiery crash in Durango after the pilot aborted takeoff […]
1. LAWMAKERS PURSUE DEAL TO END SHUTDOWN Senate moderates in both parties search for a solution to a partisan stalemate as they race toward a vote to reopen the federal government and stop hundreds of thousands of furloughs. 2. WOMEN’S MARCHERS SEEK EMPOWERMENT “For us it’s all about women’s rights and we’re seeing them be […]
1. BUDGET BATTLE ROLLS ON A divided Congress barrels toward a possible election-year government shutdown, with disagreements over immigration and other issues still unresolved. 2. PONTIFF’S REMARKS PROVOKE SHOCK Pope Francis accuses victims of Chile’s most notorious pedophile of slander, in an astonishing end to a visit that was meant to help heal the wounds […]
1. HAITIANS FACE HURDLES AFTER PROTECTED STATUS RENEWAL DELAYS A bureaucratic delay by U.S. immigration officials has cost some of them their jobs, others the chance to travel for family emergencies and many feeling like it was intentional. 2. WHERE TRUMP IS HEADED Southwestern Pennsylvania to celebrate the Republican tax overhaul — and perhaps give […]
1. STEVE BANNON BACK ON CAPITOL HILL A House panel questions the ex-White House strategist, aiming to find out Trump’s thinking when he fired FBI Director James Comey. 2. WHO’S STRUGGLING TO GET STORIES STRAIGHT Trump’s Homeland Security secretary becomes the latest GOP official to offer a conflicting account of a meeting in which the […]
1. WHERE PROTESTS GREET PAPAL VISIT Pope Francis’ first visit to Chile comes as some people are upset that he appointed a bishop who had been close to an abusive priest. 2. ‘WE ARE ONE PEOPLE, ONE NATION, ONE BLOOD’ On the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, his daughter, The Rev. Bernice King, tells Ebenezer […]
1. WHICH BRITISH ROYAL IS ENGAGED Prince Harry, fifth in line for the British throne, will marry American actress Meghan Markle in the spring. 2. TRUMP’S MAR-A-LAGO STAY A WELCOME BREAK FROM DC CHALLENGES The president draws a wiggly line between work, play and business at the private club he calls his “winter White House.” […]
Today is Monday, July 28, the 209th day of 2014. There are 156 days left in the year.
Today is Friday, July 25, the 206th day of 2014. There are 159 days left in the year.
Today is Tuesday, July 22, the 203rd day of 2014. There are 162 days left in the year.