1. WHAT’S NEXT FOR SWEEPING CRIMINAL JUSTICE BILL After the Senate passes a sweeping criminal justice bill, it heads to the House for approval, then to President Donald Trump for his signature. It addresses concerns that the U.S. war on drugs has led to the imprisonment of too many Americans for non-violent crimes without adequately […]
1. 13 DEAD AT CALIFORNIA COUNTRY DANCE BAR The dead include a sheriff’s sergeant and the gunman after a shooting inside the crowded Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks on “college night.” 2. FATE OF RUSSIA PROBE IN QUESTION Attorney General Jeff Sessions is pushed out by Trump, who inserted in his place Matthew […]
1. WHAT TURKISH LEADER IS SAYING Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country is determined not to allow all those responsible for the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi escape justice. 2. WHO JOINS PANTHEON OF INCENDIARY ARAB RULERS’ SONS The killing of Khashoggi by agents believed to be close to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin […]
1. AFTER DRAMATIC TESTIMONY, MORE TOXIC, PARTISAN POLITICS Senate Republicans are plowing forward with a committee vote Friday on Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court; Democrats remain vehemently opposed. 2. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO YOUR POINT OF VIEW In an era of political polarization and yawning cultural divides, Americans came away having […]
1. TRUMP WALKS BACK POSITION ON US INTELLIGENCE The U.S. president contends his summit with Russian leader Vladimir Putin was a “great success” and backs off earlier remarks undermining U.S. intelligence agencies. 2. TRUMP TAKES ‘AMERICA FIRST’ TO UNSEEN LEVELS The president’s tumultuous trip across Europe, historians say, smashed the conventions of American leaders on […]
Navarre High School salutatorian Madeline Hall is enchanted by the final frontier. For years she has seen herself among the stars, exploring new worlds or at least studying them from the ground. Read the full article in the May 24 issue of Navarre Press. Click here to subscribe for as little as $38 per year!