Before Holley was Holley, Rev. J. E. Holley, the area’s name sake, gathered together a group in the area to worship in 1891. As the story goes, 29 people were saved that day and a church was born.
Through 23 U.S. presidents and seven U.S. wars Billory Baptist Church, or Billowery as it was known until 1958, has kept the sermons coming. From before electricity was available in U.S. homes to smartphones being found in many people’s pockets, this church has sat on the same plot of land inviting people to come worship.
Read the full article in the Sept. 7 issue of Navarre Press. Subscribe online at navarrepress.com for as little as $38 per year.
P.S. Receive a digital subscription to Navarre Press for 30 days free!