Couches and curtains went up in flames during a fire demonstration Saturday, Oct. 8, at the Eighth Annual Fire Prevention Festival at Navarre United Methodist Church. The festival and demonstration helped raise awareness of fire safety and encouraged families to have a fire evacuation plan in place for their home.
Less than two minutes after the initial spark and seconds after the fire alarm went off, the entire demonstration room was in flames barely seconds after the smoke alarm went off. On-scene fire fighters hosed it down. Fire Inspector Joe Early said people should be prepared before an emergency.
“When you heard the smoke alarm go off you were already behind the curve,” he said. “You don’t have time to go grab your wallet. You only have one goal, and it’s to find your way out of the house right then and there.”