Santa Rosa County will host Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Amnesty Day on Saturday, Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to noon at the Santa Rosa County South Service Center, 5819 Gulf Breeze Parkway in Midway. This event offers residents the opportunity to dispose of HHW at no charge without having to drive to the Central Landfill in Milton.
Residents will be required to remove items from their vehicles. Remember, HHW items can cause injury if handled improperly. These items will usually have a warning or cautionary statement on their labels, such as flammable, corrosive, poison or toxic.
General debris or household garbage is not accepted as part of Amnesty Day, but may be taken to the Central Landfill for a minimal charge. The following items will be accepted and should never be disposed of with household garbage:
- up to five regular car or truck tires per vehicle (no large, heavy-duty or racing tires accepted)
- up to 5 gallons of antifreeze, gasoline, oil and oil filters
- up to 5 gallons of paint and solvents
- up to 5 gallons of lubricants and grease
- up to 5 gallons of pesticides and fertilizers
- up to 5 gallons of pool cleaners, household cleaners
- batteries, battery backups (UPSs)
- oil filters
- five-gallon propane bottles
- aerosol cans
- flat screen monitors and flat screen TVs
- computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, typewriters, DVD/DVR players
- fluorescent light bulbs
- fire extinguishers
- approved sharps containers and receive a replacement
“At our Amnesty Day in March, we collected 41,541 pounds of waste products with 1,238 pounds of it returned to our ‘free’ shelf which is disbursed back to the public for reuse,” said Ron Hixson, director of environmental operations at Santa Rosa County. “A 75 percent grant co-op plus a rebate on electronics recycling brings our costs down considerably.”
This event is for Santa Rosa County residents only. Commercial waste is not permitted.
Santa Rosa residents can dispose of HHW at no charge year-round, Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the HHW center at the entrance to the Central Landfill, 6337 Da Lisa Road in Milton.
Conditionally exempt small quantity generators (small businesses, schools and growers, etc.) may dispose of hazardous waste at a reduced rate. CESQG waste is accepted by appointment only. Call (850) 981-7135 by 12 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6, to schedule a drop-off time.
For more information, contact (850) 981-7135.