Recreational red snapper fishing faces cuts

Recently the Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council passed an amendment which could drastically impact recreational red snapper fishing. The move has pro-fishing groups such as the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus, up in arms.

Reef Fish Amendment 40, which must be approved by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, stands to reduce the number of recreational quotas and shorten the recreational red snapper season.

“What it basically does is separate private anglers from for-hire sector,” said Charlene Ponce, the management council’s public information officer. Ponce said the amendment will create two separate sectors and quotas would be divided between them. Previously, commercial fisherman received 51 percent of quotas and recreational fisherman were allotted the remaining 49 percent. Amendment 40 will further bust up the percentage for recreational quotas between charter for-hire boats and recreational fishermen.

Read more in the Nov. 6 issue of the Navarre Press or subscribe online here.

Contact Us

Navarre Press

7502 Harvest Village Ct.
Navarre FL 32566

Social Connections

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Your Name

Your Email

Search in Site

You must be logged in to post a comment Login