It was just another Sunday afternoon in the water. In the 40 years Jeanne Vahle and her husband, Mike, have lived in Florida, they have had a lot of days in the water, be it to swim, fish or take their boat out.
They never expected anything bad to happen.
On this particular Sunday, though, Mike hurt his right ankle while in the Pensacola Bay and thought nothing more of the pain he felt shooting through it later that day. The bruising and swelling that followed seemed to be connected to the ankle injury.
They had no idea that the bruising, the pain and the swelling were signs of something far more serious than an ankle injury.
“I asked him if he wanted to go to the ER and he said no,” Jeanne said. “We put it in ice water, but it was still hurting and we got up at 4 a.m. that Monday morning and said we have to do something. We thought everything was because of the ankle. We didn’t realize those were the beginning signs of it (flesh-eating bacteria).”
Read the full article in the Oct. 13 issue of Navarre Press. Click here to subscribe for as little as $38 per year.