Navarre home total loss after garage fire

Fire consumed a house on Beacon Court in Navarre Aug. 1, sending one firefighter to the hospital and leaving five people without a home.

A fire that appears to have started in the garage destroyed a home on Beacon Court Aug. 1.

Firefighters received a call for an active house fire after 11 a.m. in Navarre. Holley Navarre Fire Chief Ron Norton said the blaze appeared to have begun in the garage of the home.

A neighbor spotted the fire and knocked on the door of the home to alert the occupant. At the time only a woman was home. She took the dog and evacuated the house prior to arrival of first responders.

“At that time the fire was contained to the garage area which rapidly spread up into the attic and consumed over half of the house,” Norton said.

Heat from the fire began to melt the vinyl siding of a neighboring house, curling it away from the surface of the house. The neighbor attempted to protect his home and contain the blaze using a garden hose.

“He received some minor burns. He was checked by EMS and released at the scene,” Norton said.

Holley Navarre Fire, Midway Fire, Navarre Beach Fire Rescue and Florosa Fire all responded to the scene.

Witnesses said smoke was enveloping the area, severely limiting visibility. Holley Navarre firefighters entered the home to ensure no one was inside and to begin containing the flames.

The majority of the fire was in the attic.

One of the first Holley Navarre firefighters on scene was transported to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center for treatment of minor smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion. He was sitting upright and speaking at the time of transport and is expected to make a full recovery.

The fire caved in the majority of the roof of the home and the garage. The heat melted trash cans beside the house. It also burned a motorcycle and pickup truck that had been in the driveway.

The house is a total loss. Fire marshals are investigating to see what may have started the fire.

“At this point we don’t know the cause yet,” Norton said.

During the incident Mary Esther Fire Department and Gulf Breeze Fire Department provided support coverage for the area while the others worked the fire.

Norton said four adults and a toddler-age girl were living in the home. Red Cross has been contacted to offer the residents of the lost home support and housing assistance.

Contact Us

Navarre Press

7502 Harvest Village Ct.
Navarre FL 32566

info@navarrepress.com
850-939-8040

Social Connections

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Your Name

Your Email

Search in Site

You must be logged in to post a comment Login