Elderly person found dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

NP-DeathInvestigationAn elderly person was found dead yesterday at a residence on the 9900 block of Mariposa Street in Navarre from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office reports.

Deputies responded to the residence yesterday at 2:15 pm. Upon arrival, EMS and the Holley-Navarre Fire District were already on scene. Deputies were advised not to enter the home due to high levels of carbon monoxide fumes.

After the home was made safe to enter, the elderly resident and a pet dog were found deceased in the home. The stove was found on and there were seals around the fireplace and other areas of ventilation. There was also a space heater on in the living room. Window and door jams were also found sealed.

Initial indications were that the home was being heated by the stove and heater and the victim may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. A determination to the exact cause of death will be made after toxicology tests are performed. It is believed the victim was deceased in the home for approximately a week. The caller who contacted the Sheriff’s Office stated they were attempting a welfare check on the elderly victim who had not been seen in a couple of weeks. This case remains active.

Contact Us

Navarre Press

7502 Harvest Village Ct.
Navarre FL 32566


Social Connections

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Your Name

Your Email

Search in Site

You must be logged in to post a comment Login