Navarre Press, an award-winning, Northwest Florida community news organization, is seeking a managing editor that is passionate about journalism and eats it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Our ideal candidate is a creative and energetic leader that is enthusiastic about their role and purpose as a managing editor in our community in Northwest Florida. If you feel disillusioned by the current and unfortunately well-earned reputation of the mainstream news media and disappointed in the breakdown of ethics in your chosen career field, so are we. We believe journalist need to get down to their core existence and report the facts and not “repeaters” instead of reporters. Journalists are not propagandists. That is where “public relations” comes in and where a lot of “repeaters” are going. We keep our opinions on the editorial page and do not withhold news – which is another way of being an advocate instead of a journalist.
Our managing editor is responsible for the content, quality and timely production of a weekly (not weakly) newspaper which includes social media, digital platforms, and specialty publications. If you like winning and helping others win, you will love working at Navarre Press.
The Navarre Press managing editor develops story ideas; manages, coaches and makes assignments to reporters and photographers; edits for AP style and grammar; writes stories and updates digital platforms alongside our other team members.
The successful candidate will be an experienced editor or assistant editor who can offer fresh ideas, organization, energy and leadership to the newsroom. You must be proactive and a self-starter and not mind coming back from a story with beach sand in your shoes. The successful candidate will continue to cultivate community contacts and become involved in our growing community. Our benefits package includes access to medical, dental, vision, paid vacations/holidays and the added benefit of working and living in a beautiful and still affordable beach setting.
We have a casual, low-ego, yet passionately dedicated work environment and competitive pay. You can learn more about Navarre and Navarre Press at http://www.navarrepress.com/whyNP.pdf .We are an AP and Florida Press member newspaper and won “best” weekly in our circulation category in Florida two years in a row and more than 235 other awards in our sixteen year history.
Your cover letter should include what you know about the Northwest Florida, a paragraph about why you are passionate about journalism, a resume and three samples or links of your writing to [email protected]. Check us out at www.navarrepress.com.
Report to: Publisher
Manages the newsroom often without assistance and provides the news department with the tools, training and leadership needed to increase readership and circulation for each of our publications. As the newsroom leader, the Editor must possess strong news judgment, a natural curiosity, strong ethics, and management skills, keep accurate records, and submit reports to the publisher in a timely manner.
- Plan enterprise articles two-three weeks in advance
- Coordinate with reporters on areas of responsibilities
- Takes on a beat as needed
- Writes five stories per week, and more if needed
- Work with production on graphics and pictures to enhance future articles
- Conduct thorough evaluation of employees’ writing skills and work individually with each writer to improve their performance
- Improve each section or area of concentration. This would include writing, layout and design concepts and coverage plans
- Review all article submissions for content and correct spelling, AP Style, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Take calls from our readers regarding story ideas and comments regarding stories.
- Makes corrections on production
- Hold writers meetings regarding the news budget on a weekly basis
- Work within established budget for stringer submissions
- Work closely with publisher and other department heads
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of several publications
- Create and enforce deadlines
- Monitor vital metrics
- Plan for future pod or web casts.
- Stays in touch with the news industry by reading assigned material and attending seminars and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with InDesign and AP style
- Working knowledge of news management, exceptional news judgment, passion, vision, and familiarity with print and online. Works within established budget for stringer submissions
- Ability to assess and improve upon a news department’s strengths and weaknesses
- Comfortable with a high degree of community involvement and direct reader engagement.
- A team player who works collegially and earns respect at all levels of the organization and the community
- Excellent copyediting and time-management skills