The football showdown between Navarre and Niceville Friday night at Eagles Stadium is no longer on the schedule.
Because of issues related to COVID-19, Navarre athletic director Scott Murphy said a decision was made Thursday night to cancel the game. It will not be made up.
Navarre head coach Jay Walls said he learned one of his players tested positive mid-morning Thursday. That player had been around several other players on the team.
“Basically eight starters would have been out,” Walls said. “We decided it was in the best interest of the team to not play.”
The rivalry game was supposed to be the marquee matchup of the season up to this point. It would have featured two undefeated teams. The Raiders are 3-0 and the Eagles are 4-0.
This is the second game the Raiders have had knocked off the eight-game schedule. Hurricane Sally wiped out the opener against Milton on Sept. 18.
“It’s always tough to lose a game, but we told our kids this isn’t final,” Walls said. “We still have football games to play this season and then the playoffs.
Navarre is scheduled to return home next Friday night to take on Fort Walton Beach. A decision on that game will be made next week.
“We’ll look at the situation and evaluate things next week,” Walls said. “If the option to play is there, we’ll try to do it, but we have to look at everything. The most important thing is the health of the players.”