The area of South Santa Rosa County that we call Navarre currently considers the surveying and platting of Guy H. Wyman in 1925 as our beginnings. Navarre Press has further traced one of its earlier forms of existence to a settlement called Eagan.
Located off the Santa Rosa Sound encompassing a portion of present day, Eagan was both a village and post office location. The exact location of the post office is still currently under investigation, but it is thought to have been a short distance west of Williams Creek. In Wanton S. Webb’s “Historical, Industrial and Biographical Florida, Part 1 (1885),” Webb describes the settlement of Eagan and its location in the following quote: “Eagan, formerly a post office, is situated on Santa Rosa Sound, about eight hours distant by small boat from Pensacola. The date of settlement does not appear, but was a number of years ago. The village now contains some 15 families.”
Read the full article in the Dec. 3 issue of Navarre Press. Click HERE to subscribe for as little as $38 per year.