Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
GOV. SCOTT WANTS MORE MONEY TO HELP CHARTER SCHOOLS
Florida Gov. Rick Scott wants a significant boost in the money going to help fix and build new charter schools. Scott on Thursday announced he will ask state legislators to set aside $100 million in the coming year to help with construction costs. Charter schools receive public money, but the schools are run by private groups. This year charter schools received $75 million. Over 250,000 students are enrolled in nearly 650 charter schools.
PILOT FROM PLANE CRASH IDENTIFIED AS JAPANESE WOMAN
Authorities have identified the pilot who died after her small plane crashed into the water off New Smyrna Beach earlier this week. The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday said the pilot was 38-year-old Mihoko Tabata. A preliminary autopsy shows Tabata died Tuesday night from injuries sustained in the crash. Authorities say Tabata is from Japan but had been living in the United States. She came to Volusia County last Saturday.
2 ST. PETERSBURG TEENS ACCUSED OF RAPING GIRL AT HIGH SCHOOL
Two teenagers are accused of raping a 15-year-old girl on the campus of Dixie Hollins High School in St. Petersburg. Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputies say the girl reported the crime on Monday. She told them she’d been attacked in a room at the school by two students she didn’t know. Authorities identified the suspects as a 17 and 15 years old. The teens were charged Wednesday with sexual battery and were taken to the Pinellas County Juvenile Assessment Center.
FLORIDA MAN CHARGED WITH VANDALIZING ARTWORK NEAR TAMPA POLICE HEADQUARTERS
A homeless man faces charges after authorities say he splashed paint on a mosaic on the side of the Tampa Police Department parking garage. Forty-nine-year-old Steven Adkins was charged Thursday with felony criminal mischief and possession of cocaine after police found him covered in orange paint that matched the hue splashed on the mosaic in downtown Tampa.
CHARGE DROPPED AGAINST FORMER WRESTLER KEVIN NASH
Prosecutors have decided not to file a domestic battery charge against former professional wrestling star Kevin Nash. Prosecutors said on Thursday they won’t pursue the charge against Nash stemming from a scuffle with his 18-year-old son. An investigation against his son, Tristen, is still ongoing. Nash and his son were arrested last month on a misdemeanor battery charge.