Darrell Watkins and his wife, Jean, were getting the family ready for church Sunday morning when the smoke alarm went off.
“It’s a brand new home,” Watkins said, “so I thought maybe it was the batteries. I didn’t think it was a real fire.”
He didn’t smell any smoke, but when they checked the garage, a small fire was burning between some of the unpacked boxes.
The family, which includes three boys and Jean’s mother, moved into the house, located at 2610 Hidden Creek Drive, just six weeks ago – and now their home is a total loss.
Fire fighters also responded to a fire on Summit Drive at about 3:30 Sunday morning; no injuries were reported, but the home was destroyed.
Read the full story in the June 11 edition of Navarre Press or subscribe online here.
Photo courtesy of Keith Travis