5 Things to Know in Florida for Jan. 9

Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.

5-YEAR-OLD GIRL DIES AFTER BEING THROWN OFF BRIDGE

The father of a 5-year-old girl pulled his daughter from the back seat of his car and then threw her off the approach to the Sunshine Skyway bridge into the bay about 60 feet below, police said Thursday. It wasn’t clear why 25-year-old John Nicholas Jonchuck threw his daughter or whether she was alive at the time, though an officer who witnessed it said he “thought he heard the child scream,” St. Petersburg police Chief Anthony Holloway said at a news conference.

OBAMA ADMINISTRATION SUED OVER GULF OF MEXICO FRACKING INFO

An environmental advocacy group is suing the Obama administration in federal court for refusing to release documents detailing the extent of fracking in the Gulf of Mexico. The Center for Biological Diversity filed the lawsuit Thursday in U.S District Court in Washington, saying the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has refused to comply with the group’s federal public records request.

FSU SHOOTER KILLED BY POLICE HAD DRUGS IN SYSTEM

Medical reports show that the gunman who shot at students and employees on the campus of Florida State University had drugs in his system. Autopsy and toxicology reports released this week by the medical examiner’s office show Myron May had .24 milligrams/per liter of amphetamines in his system. May was killed by police Nov. 20. The autopsy report shows that he had 24 gunshot wounds.

FLORIDA SCHOOLS RANKING FROM EDUCATION WEEK DROPS TO 28TH

Florida’s public schools are no longer ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Education Week on Thursday released its “Quality Counts” rankings for the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Florida has fallen from sixth in the nation to 28th under the new revamped formula intended to focus more on outcomes instead of policies and procedures. Some of the criteria that was used previously has been eliminated.

TRIAL DELAYED FOR CANADIAN IN FLORIDA SEX TOURISM

Trial has been delayed for a Canadian man accused of traveling to Florida to have sex with someone investigators say he believed was an underage boy. U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore agreed to delay trial for Rene Roberge of Sherbrooke, Quebec, until Jan. 26. It had been set to begin Monday. Court papers show the case likely will end in a plea deal.

 

Share and Like


Social Connections

Navarre Press

You must be logged in to post a comment Login